I made this widget at MyFlashFetish.com.

Monday 21 November 2011

What Is English????Do You Know?

I want to tell you about the history of English?Do you know about that?I'm sure that not everyone know about this..So,now I want to share my knowledge with all my followers. The history of the English language really started with the arrival of three Germanic tribes who invaded Britain during the 5th century AD.These tribes, the Angles, the Saxons and the Jutes, crossed Denmark and northern Germany.At that time the inhabitants of Britain spoke a Celtic language. But most of the Celtic speakers were pushed west and north by the invaders. The Angles came from Englaland and their language was called Englisc - from which the words England and English are derived.
Map of Germanic invasions

Chart of the Germanic family of languages
English is a member of the Germanic family of languages.Germanic is a branch of the Indo-European language family.

No comments:

Post a Comment